[Fedora-xen] Slightly off-topic question about Xen+LVM

Aaron Metzger ametzger at silkspeed.com
Tue Nov 20 18:55:33 UTC 2007

First let me say that I love the way virtualization has been integrated
into Fedora!  Thanks to all who have done this work.

I have a simple question which is a little off-topic but I know that the
experience is contained in this group of folks.

Using the final release of Fedora 8 plus all released patches, I created
an LVM volume group and an Ext3 logical volume upon which I am storing
all of my Xen virtual machine images as normal files.

I tried to use the system-config-lvm tool to create a snapshot of the
logical volume and assigned it to a mount point that I created under
"/mnt/vmbackups" and checked the box to have it mounted at boot time.

When I rebooted the machine, the boot failed when It tried to access the
snapshot logical volume.  I'm not going to include the specific errors
here because my question is much more general.

Do snapshots of logical volumes work under Fedora 8?  Google revealed
some historical discussions about snapshots not working in the
transition from LVM1 to LVM2.  Is that the case?  Is anyone successful
creating logical volume snapshots under Fedora 8?

Alternatively, is there any other reliable way to make a self-consistent
copy of a running Xen virtual machine image for the case where the Xen
virtual machine is held in a regular file system file?  Is LVM my only
option?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

--
Aaron