[Fedora-xen] Slightly off-topic question about Xen+LVM

Aaron Metzger ametzger at silkspeed.com
Wed Nov 28 03:53:41 UTC 2007

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Well, in general it should work.. we'd need to see the error to know if
> there's a special-case you've fallen into.

A follow-up to describe what I have found regarding Fedora 8 and my
attempts to use LVM snapshots to hold Xen guest images.  Maybe it will
help others.

In general, I was unable to create any LVM snapshot with an out of the
box configuration of a 64 bit Fedora 8 until I manually loaded the
"dm-snapshot" kernel module.

   modprobe dm-snapshot

Then, I was able to create a snapshot volume and all seemed fine until I
rebooted the machine.  The boot sequence failed with a message about
"unable to expand snapshot volume" which I assume was caused again by
the lack of the "dm-snapshot" module.  I used the rescue disk to remove
the snapshot volume and was able to boot my machine once again.

I found a number of postings on the debian mailing lists from 2005
regarding the same issue and peoples attempts to get the "dm-snapshot"
module to load during boot.

I played around with modules.conf.d configuration to try to get the
module to load on boot but didn't have any success.

Do I need to make a custom boot/initrd script or am I on the wrong
track?  Ideas are welcome.

In the mean time, I have resigned myself to just not ever rebooting the
machine while any snapshot volumes exist.

--
Aaron