[Fedora-xen] Fedora Core 8 + Xenbr0 + network bridging?

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 22:11:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 02:04:30PM -0800, David Levinger wrote:
> Thank Dale for your quick reply! I've definitely started to realize that
> libvirt was what was creating the 192.168.122 subnet but I'm still
> unclear on what I'd need to do to go back to something like xenbr0.
>
> What would I end up putting into /etc/sysconfi/network-scripts after
> changing the line to /bin/true that would allow my xen guests to just
> get IPs on the same subnet that the host is on. Just passing
> communication through.
>
> Thanks again and my apologies if this sounds like a stupid question :-)
>
> David

Hi David.

The instructions you need to set up bridging on a Fedora or RHEL
installation are at
http://watzmann.net/blog/index.php/2007/04/27/networking_with_kvm_and_libvirt
. Basically what you wind up doing is disabling Xen bridging
altogether and using your linux distribution's networking scripts to
set the bridge up reliably for your guests. The only reason not to use
Xen's native bridging is that it tries to be distro-agnostic and the
result is predictably poor. Once you disable that (by the "/bin/true"
change above) and set up the bridge as described, you should have no
difficulty.

Best of luck,
--Hugh