[Fedora-xen] Cannot create domU with virt-install when VT is enabled on DELL PowerEdge 1950

Anne Facq annefacq at crpp-bordeaux.cnrs.fr
Fri Nov 30 23:15:50 UTC 2007

Hello

I've got a dom0 on Fedora 8 running on a DELL PowerEdge 1950

** With "Virtulization Technology" enabled in the BIOS of the DELL
PowerEdge 1950, I've got problems using virt-install

These problems are on Fedora 8 32 bits and on Fedora 8 64 bits :

   - with 'virt-install --parav ...' installation freezes randomly

   - with 'virt-install --hvm ...' the domU freezes after "Creating
domain..." :
   ------------------------
   Starting install...
   libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
   Retrieving file fedora.cs 100% |=========================| 2.8 kB
00:00
   Retrieving file boot.iso. 100% |=========================| 9.2 MB
00:01
   libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
   Creating domain...                                                 0
B 00:01
   ------------------------

   - NB : with virt-manager the installation the domU freezes after
clicking the "Finish" button

** With "VT" disabled in the BIOS, I've successfully created a Fedora
8 domU (with virt-install).
And if I reboot the PowerEdge with VT enabled, I can start a domU
(created with VT disabled).

So the problem with VT is only during the installation phase.

Any ideas ?

Did anybody succeed in installing domU whith "Virtualization Technology"
enabled on a PowerEdge 1950

Thanks in advance

Anne Facq
--