[Fedora-xen] Follow up to "No agpgart? What?"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 17:08:43 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> I think it is.  The standard kernel does fire up /dev/agpgart and it
> does allocate memory:
[...]
> I'll do that, but under the standard kernel it allocates video RAM just
> fine.  It doesn't under the xen0 kernel.

It's not really fair to compare Linux running under Xen with Linux
running on bare-metal.  Linux on baremetal has complete, unhindered
access to physical memory, and can hand out access to physical memory
mappings to user processes as well (eg. X).  Under Xen the situation is
somewhat different in that the hypervisor controls physical memory and
hands it out to all domains.  The "privileged" dom0 has direct access to
device registers but not necessarily to all physical memory.

> UPDATE:  Just tried it.  I did screw up and just say "256" rather than
> "256MB".  /dev/agpgart still doesn't exist.  The only change I see is a
> warning in the log:
>
> (WW) intel(0): VideoRam configuration found, which is no longer
> recommended.
> (II) intel(0): Continuing with default 262144kB VideoRam instead of 256
> kB.
>
> The 262144kB bit is the same as under the regular kernel but /dev/agpart
> still doesn't exist.  This is more and more a Xen kernel issue.

On my Xen desktop which is running X just fine there is no /dev/agpart.

>> If that doesn't help then it's probably a general Xen problem, so asking
>> about this upstream on xen-users[1] or xen-devel[2] lists could help.
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking about that.
>
>> In any case, if you find a way to fix it please let us know.
>
> I'll keep you posted.
>
> Side note to Rich...it'd be nice if the list was in your To: as opposed
> to being in the Cc:.  That's why I posted directly to you last time...
> I tend to use "Reply" not "Reply All".

/me blames my crappy MUA.  Thunderbird sucks, mutt rules.

Rich.