[Fedora-xen] problem creating my 1st VM

Guillaume guillaume.chardin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:00:49 UTC 2007

Hi list,
I' trying to create my first vm with Xen, and I experience some problems.
I follow some How to's  and xen docs to build my own config file, but
maybe, there are some errors inside it.
I have the following problem, after i start my guest domain, the
kernel boot & then a kernel panix is displayed :

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I try to start this Virtual machine from vmware workstation where i
install Xen (Dom0 work perfectly).

My config is make up of these lines :
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2936.fc7xen"
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
name = "test_Linux"
cdrom = "/dev/cdrom"
memory = "128"
builder = "linux"
name = "linux"
disk = [ "file:/xenroot/linux/linux.xdi,hda1,w" ]

Additionnals questions :
a) Does i must use a modified Xen linux kernel, or, can I use a
"normal/standard" kernel to boot up my VM?
b) Is it possible to start a fresh install of Fedora directly from dvd
in a guest domain (I mean without creating & mounting disk image/VM
partition and copying root file system in it? If yes, how ?

Thanks for your replyes.

--
Guillaume