[Fedora-xen] RHEL4 DomU Update Problem

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 22:00:05 UTC 2007

Jim Klein wrote:
> Interesting:
>
> XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/2048
> XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vif/0
> device-mapper: 4.5.5-ioctl (2006-12-01) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> Not sure where to go from here.

Believe it or not, those XENBUS errors are actually expected; the xenbus driver
is loaded before the virtual disk/network drivers, and it sees that it has these
nodes without drivers.

However, that does lead me to an idea.  If I remember correctly, the Xensource
kernels have all of the drivers built-in, while we prefer to do things more
modular.  I'm guessing that you didn't have the right driver in
/etc/modprobe.conf when the kernel was installed, so the initrd doesn't have the
right drivers in it.  So what you'll want to do is:

1)  Boot the RHEL-4 domU into the (working) Xen kernel.
2)  Edit /etc/modprobe.conf, and add:

alias scsi_hostadapter xenblk

3)  Remove the RedHat RHEL-4 kernel (rpm -e), and install it again, which should
re-generate the initrd with the right stuff in it.

Chris Lalancette