[Fedora-xen] Fedora 7 kernels

Jason Solan jsolan at knouse.com
Tue Sep 25 20:17:24 UTC 2007

I've had a lot of problems with Fedora 7 and XEN and I've read some
messages on this mailing list indicating the F7 kernel is more or less
broke with xen.
By problems I mean that 32 bit guests on 64 bit dom0 does not work at
all for me.  Neither paravirtualized (as was a main feature of xen 3.1)
or fully virtualized.

Combinations I've tried:
F7 x86_64 dom0 -> F7 x86 domU PV
F7 x86_64 dom0 -> F7 x86 domU HVM
RHEL 5 x86_64 dom0 -> F7 x86 domU HVM
RHEL 5.1 Beta x86_64 dom0 -> F7 x86 domU PV
RHEL 5.1 Beta x86_64 dom0 -> F7 x86 domU HVM
RHEL 5 x86 dom0 -> F7 x86 domU PV  -- Only one that works (32 on 32 PV)

I had read a while ago (June?) that a kernel update would be coming soon
to fix the 32 on 64 PV issue, however I've ran in several new kernels
and none seem to fix the issue.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-June/msg00031.html

I've also repeatedly tried to run a 32 bit HVM fedora 7 guest on 64 bit
machines and had that fail similar to this:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-June/msg00094.html

Is there any more work planned for Fedora 7 and xen, or should I just
wait until F8?  Or am I just doing something wrong and the problems I'm
having should be working on the current builds?

IMPORTANT: This transmission is sent on behalf of Knouse Foods®
for business purposes.  It is for the intended recipient only.  If you are
not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or
distribute this transmission or take any action in reliance on it.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
by replying to this Email message, and please dispose of and delete
this transmission.  Thank you.