[Fedora-xen] ID = VNC Port

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 21:21:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 11:11:24PM +0200, Juerg Ritter wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I am wondering if there is a possibility to define that the VNC Port of
> a virtual machine is always equal to the ID of the machine. That would
> be very interesting for scripting, and easy to find out on which VNC
> Display i have to search for a particular machine. Does anybody has an idea?

You can request an explicit port for a VM, but there is no guarentee tht
the request will actually be honoured - if another process is using the
port you request, Xen will pick a different port.

> I would like to invoke something like:
>
> vncviewer <dom0>:<ID>

In Fedora 7 there is a new tool which avoids the need to know the VNC
port at all. Simply tell it the name or ID or UUID of the guest when
running, eg with Xen

   virt-viewer  [guest name|id|uuid]

Or with KVM you can do

   virt-viewer --connect qemu:///system [guest name|id|uuid]

Basically, virt-viewer contacts libvirt to find out the VNC port and
then displays a VNC client window.  This VNC client also knows about the
new encryption support for VNC servers in Xen, QEMU & KVM, so can be
used securely over a remote link. In near future it will also be able
to automatically tunnel over SSH when needed.

Regards,
Dan.