[Fedora-xen] Testing xen installs with a new kernel

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 13:15:45 UTC 2008

Hey,
	Fedora 9 is frozen right now, so as we continue getting kernel-xen into
shape, we need to be able to test installs with new kernel builds before
requesting that the build gets tagged. Here's some instructions for
anyone who needs to do this:

  1) Checkout anaconda from git[1]:

  $> git-clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/anaconda.git

  2) Pull down the latest installer images:

  $> d=$(date +%F)
  $> mkdir $d
  $> pushd $d
  $> wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/${arch}/os/images/xen/vmlinuz
  $> wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/${arch}/os/images/xen/initrd
  $> popd

  3) Create the new images

  $> anaconda/scripts/upd-kernel $d $d-$kver ./kernel-xen-$kver.rpm
  $> cat > $d-$kver <<EOF
  [general]
  family = Fedora
  arch = ${arch}
  [images-xen]
  kernel = vmlinuz
  initrd = initrd.img
  EOF

  4) Kick off an install:

  $> virt-install ... -l ./$d-$kver ... -x "method=http://mymirror/foobar/${arch}/os/"

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - You'll also need these patches which hopefully will be applied soon:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2008-April/thread.html#00037