[Fedora-xen] Upgrading a Xen guest

John Swartzentruber nospam2 at mcswartz.org
Sat Apr 19 14:45:32 UTC 2008

I hope I am using correct terminology for this question. I'm a home user
who is using Xen in a small way, but want to ramp up my usage over time.

I have a Fedora 7 host server. On this computer, I installed two Fedora
8 virtual servers using virt-install. What I can't find the answer to,
is how to upgrade these virtual computers from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9 when
Fedora 9 is released. On my physical server, I normally create an
installation DVD, then boot from that. Anaconda then takes care of
appropriately upgrading the system and generally does a very good job of it.

So how will I do the equivalent for a virtual computer? I don't know how
to virtually put the virtual DVD in the virtual DVD drive and reboot the
virtual computer. I know I've read of ways to upgrade using Yum, which I
assume would work, but I'd prefer to upgrade using Anaconda because that
seems like a much safer approach. Because my two current virtual
computers are not used for much yet, I could start from scratch, but in
the future that isn't going to be the way I will want to handle the
upgrades.

Thanks for your help. I've read the FedoraProject.org wiki docs, but if
there are references I missed, please feel free to point me to them.