[Fedora-xen] ANNOUNCE: virt-what 1.0 - a shell script to detect if you are running in a virtual machine

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Sat Aug 30 20:21:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce the first release of 'virt-what', which is a
> simple shell script that detects if you are running inside a virtual
> machine, and prints some "facts" about that virtual machine.  This is
> a frequently requested feature.
> [...]

On dom0 running a xen kernel (CentOS 5.2), I get:

 	xen
 	xen-dom0

whether or not xend is started. On PV guests, I get the same output (they
have /proc/xen/privcmd too). On HVM guests, I get no output.

Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,300 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"