[Fedora-xen] unable to launch domU (FC 8)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Dec 12 22:41:36 UTC 2008

Boy, that's not much to go on, and the console often fails to capture
all output, but:

On 2008-12-12 10:11 AM, Siddharth Wagh wrote:
> Linux version 2.6.21.7-5.fc8xen

This is the latest f8 xen kernel (at least that my f8 machine has) -
have you tried booting an earlier kernel in pygrub?

For some reason I don't fully understand kernel-xen updates often fail
to include xenblk and xennet modules in the initrd and leave the domU
unable to find its root disk.

Something like:

mkinitrd  -v -f --with=xennet --with=xenblk initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname
-r`

with the correct versions will get you going again if this is the case.

Also make sure the menu.lst entry isn't setup for Dom0 after the update,
I've seen that too (i.e. xen kernel, linux kernel as a module).

-Bill

Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/