[Fedora-xen] How To Test Dom0 Xen Support In Fedora 10

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sat Dec 13 16:46:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 09:03:09PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 18:29 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
>
> I do have a thousand questions to ask, such as why is a dom0 guest
> important? I have a hard time visualizing the practical differences
> between a dom0 and a domU guest.

Dom0 is another name for the host operating system. It has access to,
and manages all the physical hardware devices, and provides the mgmt
of the DomU guest operating systems. The reason getting a working Dom0
is a harder bit  of work than DOmU, is precisely because it has to manage
all the hardware and work with the hypervisor. The DomU only ever sees
virtual hardware devices (ignoring PCI passthrough), so its a much
simpler beast.

Daniel