[Fedora-xen] Using Wireless Connection In KVM

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 10:36:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 05:39:03PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> How can I get my Fedora 10 guest to use a wireless connection? Do I need
> to configure a wireless "bridge" adapter? That is, if the wired adapter
> bridge is ifcfg-eth0 referencing "br0" perhaps I need a second named
> ifcfg-wlan0 referencing "br1"?
>
> In short: does anyone have wireless working for Fedora 10, KVM guests?
> If yes, can the configuration details be shared with me? I'm dying to
> use wireless in my guest. Laptops were never meant for long trailing
> wires if you ask me...

Wireless + bridging == fail.

When creating the guest you should use libvirt's 'default' virtual
network, which is NAT based and specifically designed to play nicely
with NetworkManager

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

So no matter what wifi network/adress your host has, the guest will still
get outbound traffic through

Daniel