[Fedora-xen] RE: Urgent Help Required: FC10 as DomU on FC8 as Dom0

MOHAMMAD MATEEN ASLAM mateenaslam at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 15:27:10 UTC 2008

> xenner is something you use on a KVM host to emulate Xen.. I think you
> shouldn't need/use xenner with the real Xen. And especially not in domU,
> xenner is for KVM "dom0".

True, xenner is also required for KVM. I have used xenner module successfully for my old FC8 (DomU) and it worked fine. On your advice I have tried to created RamDisk without xenner but no luck.

> > XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/2049
> > XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/2050
> > XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/2051
> This means xen block/disk device (xvd) driver was not loaded.
>
> > XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vif/0
>
> This means xen network driver was not loaded.
>
> Does your kernel contain those modules? or are they built-in in the pv_ops
> kernels?

This seems sound, i am using Latest FC10 kernel -2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686.PAE as DomU and Latest kernel 2.6.21.7-5.fc8xen on FC8 (Dom0). Ideally FC10 pv_ops kernel should have these modules support, either built-in or as module.

> > I have live updated my Old DomU (FC8)  -> to New DomU (FC10).  Plz let me know if there is a batter way for Ramdisk.
> >

> So.. just to get it correctly:
>
> 1. You installed Fedora 8 domU
> 2. You updated Fedora 8 domU to Fedora 10 (on the fly) with yum
> 3. You create initrd image for the F10 kernel using the mkinitrd command above
>
> That should work.. assuming you get the initrd correct.

Yes you got exactly right,  logically it should work, but its not working.

> You could also try installing a fresh F10 domU (with virt-install or
> virt-manager) and see if that works..

I am checking fresh installation via virt-install on another box with same setup. I will post results here.

Regards, Mateen