[Fedora-xen] KVM Networking Question

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 14 03:33:56 UTC 2008

To my pleasure, I was able to get two different virtual machines running
pretty quickly. I installed Fedora 10 x86_64 on my new laptop with the
Virtualization package group and as little else as possible. Then I
updated the system (so now I'm using kvm-74-6-fc10.x86_64), started the
graphical Virtual Machine Manager, and built a guest for Windows XP
Professional and a second guest for Fedora 10 x86_64.

I want the Fedora 10 guest to fetch an IP address of 192.168.1.115 from
the dhcp server running on my network. Virtual Machine Manager seems to
be creating it's very own dhcp server and assigning network addresses of
192.168.122.2 and higher. So I can't ping the guest I just created from
a host on the 192.168.1.0 network.

The networking behavior VMWare gives me results in my virtual machines
getting their addresses from the dhcp server on the 192.168.1.0 network,
so the host IP I'm expecting for a machine is the one that is assigned
and used.

How do I change the networking in Virtual Machine Manager to simply pass
all the dhcp calls to my network? Or is there a good reason to let the
Manager do its own 192.168.122.x network?

Thanks

Bob Cochran