[Fedora-xen] what steps are required to manually move a PV domU from one machine to another?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sat Feb 2 20:57:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:48:20PM -0800, fc xen list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem - I created a lovely bunch of F8 x86_64 domUs and I
> want to create a vast clone army of them using different dom0s. The problem
> is, I do:
>
> fm # virt-install c1 (no graphics)
> fm # xm start c1
> fm # xm shutdown c1 [ ok I don't _always_ shut it down :P  ]

Welcome to the world of massive data corruption if you copy the
disk without shutting down.

> fm # scp -p c1.img othermachine:/var/lib/xen/images
> then:
> om1 # virsh define c1.xml

You can't just use the same XML for each - you need to change the UUID,
the namem, and disk image in the XML at very least.

> om1 # xm start c1
>
> and hangville,
> if I do:
> om1 # xmstart c1 -c
> it seems to hang just after the grub boot menu.

Define hang ? If the guest is configured with graphical framebuffer it
is perfectly expected that you'll not see anything on the text console
while booting.

> I assume I am "doing it wrong" but this worked great in the past.

You might want to try the 'virt-clone' tool which will automate much of
the stuff.

Dan.