[Fedora-xen] DVD not mountable on FC8 DomU?

Evan Lavelle sa212+fcxen at cyconix.com
Sat Feb 16 01:12:49 UTC 2008

I have an FC8 Dom0 which has identical setups for a Centos 5 and an FC8
DomU (both HVM). However, I can't mount a (file) DVD on the FC8 DomU,
but I can do this on the Centos 5 (and various other) DomU's.

The FC8 config file contains:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG_Guests/FC8-64-001,ioemu:hda,w' ,
          'file:/dumps/ISO/FC8-64/FC8-64.ISO,hdc:cdrom,r']

The Centos config file is identical, except that the 'FC8' strings are
changed. FC8 installed Ok using this cdrom line, and it also boots up
from this "DVD" if I change the boot order in the config file.

The FC8 DomU /etc/fstab contains:

/dev/sr0 /media/dvd auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

This line is identical for the FC8 Dom0, the Centos 5 DomU, and the FC8
DomU, except that Centos 5 uses /dev/hdc instead of /dev/sr0.

Any ideas why I can't mount the DVD on the FC8 DomU? mount reports that
the filesystem is read-only, so it's getting some of the way there, but
it then complains that the options are wrong:

> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error

I've tried various different options and filesystems without luck. The
DVD disk file itself is Ok, because I can still boot up from it.

One other thing I tried was changing the cdrom line in the config file to

'file:/dumps/ISO/FC8-64/FC8-64.ISO,sr0:cdrom,r'

but this doesn't help - after booting, the FC8 DomU doesn't have a DVD
at all in /dev; the /dev/sr0 and /dev/cdrom entries have disappeared.

Thanks -

Evan