[Fedora-xen] VCL for xen?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 22:44:33 UTC 2008

yonas Abraham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for open source application that does similar to NC
> states Virtual Computing Library (VCL) for xen management.  I have
> seen ovirt.org, but it seems to require hardware virtualization, which
> I don't have.
>
> any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> /yonas

If you are happy with some lower level tooling (and building some of the
stuff yourself), Func offers
remote virt control using libvirt modules for Xen (incl. paravirt) as
well as KVM, as well as remote hooks
for installation via koan (see below) -- and is very interested in new
modules / tweaks from the people who use it.

https://fedorahosted.org/func

You can also use Cobbler/koan to provide the missing provisioning half
(so Func for control and Cobbler for installation)

http://cobbler.et.redhat.com

I would suspect eventually ovirt will support other virt types since
libvirt makes this possible.
It's also planning on integrating Cobbler support in the future.

These solutions are more CLI/batch/scripting oriented though if you need
to customize your own solution for specific
things (like the VCL case) you may want that anyway -- I'm not too
familiar with the VCL to say for sure.

--Michael