[Fedora-xen] XEN configuration

Gianluca USA lucarx76 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:01:07 UTC 2008

Hi all,
 I'm using XEN on Fedora 8. I tried building a rootfilesystem over ram disk,
but when I use it to boot XEN I got the following error:

(XEN) Panic on CPU 0:
(XEN) Domain 0 allocation is too small for kernel
image.
(XEN)

(XEN)

If instead I use a normal initial filesystem, I noticed (looking at XEN's
boot output) that

(XEN)  PHYSICAL MEMORY ARRANGMENT:
(XEN)  Dom0 alloc.:   000000003c000000->000000003e000000 (470953 pages to be
allocated)

(XEN) VIRTUAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
(XEN)  Loaded kernel:
c1000000->c1401000
(XEN)  Init. ramdisk:
c1401000->c1afe800
(XEN)  Phys-Mach map:
c1aff000->c1cd2ea4
(XEN)  Start info:
c1cd3000->c1cd346c
(XEN)  Page tables:
c1cd4000->c1ce9000
(XEN)  Boot stack:
c1ce9000->c1cea000
(XEN)  TOTAL:
c0000000->c2000000
(XEN)  ENTRY ADDRESS: c1000000
(XEN) Dom0 has maximum 2 VCPUs

So it seems that if my root filesystem is too big (more than 33M) there is
no space for XEN to load the kernel and the root filesystem in memory.
Is there a way to change the XEN physical memory arrangement (in order to
have enough space for the kernel and the root filesystem)?

My system has 2G of RAM. My root filesystem is 250M and I'm planning to
assign 512M to domain 0.

Thanks,
  Gianluca