[Fedora-xen] New kernel-xen in rawhide

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 10:37:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 01:32:37PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 05:15:41PM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > Yes, I'd very much like to make that happen soon.
> > >
> > > There are two considerations, though:
> > >
> > >   1) The second half of the xen x86_64 DomU work has not yet been
> > >      merged upstream. It's a fairly big patch:
> > >
> > >        49 files changed, 2344 insertions(+), 913 deletions(-)
> > >
> > >      so, if it doesn't get merged,
> >
> > Sweet, Ingo has just pushed it up to Linus:
> >
> >   http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/7/21/201
> >

> That's really nice progress with upstream merging..
>
> I still think it might be a good idea to keep separate kernel-xen until
> upstream has "all" the needed features..
>
> Like said, adding dom0 patches should be easier to separate rpm?

Possibly - that's TDB when we have working Dom0 patches again. The Dom0
patches will have to work against latest LKML tree, so it might turn
out to be easy to do against the main kernel RPM. It really depends how
unstable/invasive Dom0 bits are. This is a decision that is independant
of the guest stuff though.

In terms of guest support, we absolutely want 1 kernel for F10.  A core
point of paravirt_ops is that a single kernel binary can boot and auto
detect the hypervisor its running on. This means we can get rid of the
separate vmlinuz/initrd in the install trees, get rid of anaconda logic
to install a different kernel in Xen guests, and lots of other cleanup.

Daniel