[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen is dead

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 14:46:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 14:24 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
> > 	When this build finishes:
> >
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=57402
> >
> > 	rawhide kernel-PAE.i686 and kernel.x86_64 will contain support for i686
> > and x86_64 Xen DomU guests.
> >
> > 	We've added Obsoletes/Provides, so a simple yum update should work
> > fine[1].
> >
> > 	Today the world has been made a little more sane. Rejoice :-)
>
> But not dom0 right?

Correct; no dom0 support.

> Is there a doc somewhere to say how to migrate from Xen boots using rootfs
> (not bootable disk image) to kvm?

You mean it's a disk image with no partition table and bootloader?

So, you're booting the guest by specifying a kernel and initrd along
with the disk image?

If so, you should be able to do exactly the same with KVM - you'll just
need to manually create a suitable initrd using whatever method you used
to create the original initrd for Xen.

But no, I don't know of any good docs describing how to migrate xen
guests to KVM ... it'd be very cool if someone could write something up
on fedoraproject.org/wiki as they go through the process, though ...

Cheers,
Mark.