[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen is dead

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 16:27:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

All your questions are covered in the archives, btw ...

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 15:59 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:

> 1) will dom0 appear (be added back) at some point in fedora 9 lifetime ?

Highly unlikely it'll appear as an F9 update, no.

> 2) why was it taken out ?

kernel-xen lagged the bare-metal kernel by several release; we no longer
wanted to waste time forward porting the 2.6.18 tree, so we switched
over to what's upstream - 32 and 64 bit pv_ops DomU

See also:

  http://markmc.fedorapeople.org/XenSummit.pdf

> I gather that dom0 support will be added back in fedora 10.

That's looking rather unlikely at this point since there hasn't been
much progress of late.

It'll be in Fedora as soon (and maybe even shortly before) it's
available upstream in Linus's tree.

Cheers,
Mark.