[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen is dead

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Jul 27 17:52:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 09:35:51AM -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 14:24 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > Is there a doc somewhere to say how to migrate from Xen boots using rootfs
> > (not bootable disk image) to kvm?
>
> There are some of us with some fairly substantial servers bought just a
> few years ago that don't have hardware virtualization support. I believe
> KVM still requires such support, and I don't know if that's ever going
> to change.
>
> So, until there is a new dom0 in Fedora there will be us poor souls
> living back on F8 with little budget to swap out and buy HVM capable
> hardware. As long as future fedora domU's continue to work on F8 dom0, I
> suppose we can float along for a couple of releases until something
> changes.
>
> It's a little worrisome that patches won't be forthcoming for F8, but we
> can mitigate that somewhat by running little more than the hypervisor on
> the dom0.
>
> Keep up the great work and forward momentum, but have pity on those of
> us using Fedora in production with the above limitations.

We feel the pain too. We'd love to be able to offer a virtualization host
which didn't require hardware virt support, but its just not viable until
Dom0 is ported to pv_ops. The best bet if you want something to use in a
production scenario is to use RHEL-5 or CentOS-5, since these have a much
longer lifetime than Fedora for updates & hardware enablement (Fedora 8
will go end-of-life shortly after f10  comes out).

Daniel