[Fedora-xen] xen to kvm migration question

Avi Kivity avi at qumranet.com
Sat Jun 28 04:10:41 UTC 2008

Paul Wouters wrote:
> 2) I boot all my xens using kernel+initrd outside a rootfs image, instead
>    of a bootable virtual disk. Is that possible with kvm, or will I be
>    stuck creating bootable disk images?

qemu provides -kernel and -initrd flags for this; however I don't know
if virt-manager supports this.

I find that a kernel+initrd inside the guest disk image is much more
maintainable; for example 'yum update kernel' will update your guest
kernel rather than having to copy files around.

signature is too narrow to contain.