[Fedora-xen] Newby Help

Walter Coole WCoole at aperiogroup.com
Wed Mar 26 01:24:39 UTC 2008

uname -a
Linux cloudy 2.6.20-1.3002.fc6xen #1 SMP Mon Aug 13 14:21:21 EDT 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

FWIW, the file that Anaconda is complaining about is
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os//ima
ges/stage2.img , which seems to be sitting there as advertised, although
my link is pretty slow; could it be timing out over the transfer?

If understand the flags:

[wcoole at cloudy ~/Desktop]$ egrep "svm|vmx" /proc/cpuinfo
[wcoole at cloudy ~/Desktop]$

I cannot run Fully-virtualized guests, which seems to imply that I have
to run a para-virt guest.

I was imagining that it would be simplest to use a file (on the host
filesystem) as the filesystem for the guest, but I've probably mangled
the configuration.  I'm using this command to start it:

sudo /usr/sbin/xm create -c football.cfg

It seems likely that I haven't got the config set right; here's
football.cfg:

cat football.cfg
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.3002.fc6xen"
memory = 256
name = "football"
vif = [ '' ]
dhcp = "dhcp"
disk = ['file://xen/fedora/football.img,sda1,w',
'file://xen/fedora/football.swap,sda2,w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

I got the img, swap, and cfg files from the tarball at
http://jailtime.org/download:fedora:fc6 , but copied and hacked them
without really knowing what I was doing.  I'm not fixated on any
particular approach, just trying to do the easy thing to get started so
I can fool myself into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Thanks
Walter