[Fedora-xen] Is pci-pasthrough enabled for F9 DomU?

snowcrash+xen@gmail.com schneecrash+xen at gmail.com
Tue May 13 23:55:04 UTC 2008

>  This isn't what you'll want to hear but...
>
>  To be perfectly honest, it is not really a high priority. Our priorities
>  are getting the DomU stuff merged upstream & working reliably and continuing
>  the Dom0 work, since those impact every single user of Xen. Unfortunately
>  PCI pasthrough is quite a niche userbase, so its hard to justify work on it
>  in the short term given limited resources. If someone has skills & time to
>  volunteer to work on the PCI passthrough stuff.....

ouch!  a large %age of the boxes we deploy have a firewall/DomU & and
a NAS/Domu, each with dedicated, pass'd-thru NICs.  without passthru,
performance is lousy.

so, iiuc "not really a high priority", i guess -- short of 'growing'
someone with the skills -- we're hosed.

the unfortunate irony is we *moved* to Fedora because the passthru
support in RHEL was flaky, and Fedora was touted as "the right way to
get it".  regressing a working feature that differentiates the distro
would not have been my first choice ... majority, or otherwise.

thanks for the straight-up !

now to figure out *which* supported distro CAN fit my needs. sigh.