[Fedora-xen] HVM DomU on F9?

Dustin Henning Dustin.Henning at prd-inc.com
Tue May 20 15:15:39 UTC 2008

       I am currently running F7 with HVMs.  I am considering trying out F8
or F9 to see if I can get them to work as well.  I know F9 doesn't have a
Dom0, at least not yet.  I also understand that DomUs are supposed to work
on it.  However, I don't believe I have seen any discussion as to how that
is done and/or whether or not HVM DomUs are supported in that environment.
I am assuming that since the decision that F9 wouldn't include Dom0 support
was relatively recent that I probably don't need to search the list
archives.  Can anyone tell me whether or not HVM DomUs work in F9 and
whether or not there is any additional performance degradation vs running
them in a Dom0?
       I actually prefer to run HVM DomUs in a regular kernel if possible
because I have always had mouse problems in Dom0 of F7, but not in the base
kernel.  I understand that KVM is an option, but since Xen now supports
Windows with ACPI (without the degradation that was once common in Xen and
is still common in KVM  because of a certain ACPI register apparently
regularly polled by Windows [I would love to know what register, as I could
then try to find a way to prevent Windows from doing that and KVM might
perform as well as Xen]), I feel that KVM would be a big step backwards.
Additionally, there are apparently more paravirtual drivers available for
Windows (though they are not readily available in binary form and stable,
more on that in my next message), though using std-vga in KVM is nice (with
standard VESA 2.0, a generic Windows driver already exists outside of the
project).
       Finally, assuming that HVM DomUs can be run in F9, do the old
services and xm commands still exist, or will I have to learn to use virsh
and make xml configs?  Thanks,
       Dustin