[Fedora-xen] Xen Documentation

Aaron Metzger ametzger at silkspeed.com
Fri May 30 19:09:21 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> That posting is mostly based on a mis-understanding of what XenD is doing,
> but also the fact that there is no way to get the config back out of XenD
> using 'xm'. ie, you can load a traditional /etc/xen style config into XenD
> using 'xm new CONFIG', but you can't ask XenD to generate you a traditional
> style cofnig for one of the VMs its managing. Not an issue if you're using
> libvirt for management, since it doesn't use /etc/xen style configs anyway.
> While, there are a few people who need to use /etc/xen configs to get access
> to specific features not supported in libvirt (PCI device passthrough), they
> are a small niche.  On the whole switching to using the new inactive domain
> management APIs in XenD was a net-win, with the benefits far outweighing
> the disadvantages.

Can we mix and match.  Can we have some old style configs in "/etc/xen"
for some guests while using libvirt for the rest?

I'm using the new way of doing things now but wonder what will happen if
some day I need PCI device passthrough for one guest.  Do, I have to
revert all guests back to the old style of config to have this
capability for one?