[Fedora-xen] supported vt hardware

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Nov 13 19:54:08 UTC 2008

Guillaume wrote:
> Maybe someone can help me choosing new hardware for xen hvm test.
> I need a motherboard fully suportting intel vt with intel "core 2 quad
> processor". Does someone already using some recent hardware and was
> able to correctly set-up this kind of things, and can give me some
> advices.

I just put into production a new low-power (65-105W) 1/2U server I built
using the SuperMicro X7SBA:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=supermicro+x7sba&x=0&y=0

and a 45nm Core2Duo.  Centos 5.2 Dom0, DomU is Fedora 8 (for the
moment).  I haven't tried any of the Hyper-V stuff yet, but it's
supported in the BIOS and detected by Xen.

The latest BIOS update is essential for proper disk geometry detection.

-Bill