[Fedora-xen] Updating out-of-date Fedora XenPvopsDom0 wiki page

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Wed Nov 26 10:17:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:57:26AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 11:48 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:34:17AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > 	Thanks for poking at this - I've updated the page to remove any
> > > tracking of the in-progress kernel support, since it's all better
> > > tracked elsewhere now.
> > >

> > Ok.
> >
> > Although "i386 Dom0", "x86_64 Dom0" and "Scope" sections still need heavy
> > editing..
>
> I removed them - maybe you missed my updates?

Oh, now it seems to be OK. I guess I refreshed before you submitted your
changes, or then my browser cached the old page.

Anyway, now it's better.

> > Also, it might be a good idea to mention about this temporary Linux 2.6.27
> > Xenlinux repository with dom0 support included (with a patch from Suse):
> >
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.27-xen.hg
> >
> > That 2.6.27 kernel is NOT based on pv_ops, but to a forward-port from 2.6.18
> > Xenlinux kernel. It is just a temporary tree until pv_ops dom0 is ready.
> >
> > Announcement about that temporary 2.6.27 Xenlinux tree:
> > http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-11/msg00600.html
>
> It's not really relevant to Fedora - we're not going back to the bad old
> days of having a separate Xen kernel. We made the call in Fedora 9 to no
> longer waste effort on any forwarded ported 2.6.18 tree and focus all
> efforts on upstream pv_ops, since that's where the future lies.

I know. But it might be relevant for people who want to build their own dom0
kernel.. before pv_ops dom0 is ready.

> Personally, I'm disappointed to see this linux-2.6.27-xen.hg tree
> appear. Any effort invested in this tree is effort that could be spent
> on helping with the upstream pv_ops work.

Yep.. The tree is based on work done by Suse for SLES11. Xensource just
imported their patches to that temporary tree.

I don't think Xensource will be putting much (if any) effort into that tree.

> > > 	My advice to anyone wanting to help this along is to build and test
> > > Jeremy's work and iron out any issues with Fedora's xen userland running
> > > on it.
> > >

> > Yes, that would be a good idea.
> >
> > Does someone want to build some testing RPMs? :)
>
> A volunteer to do this would be very welcome indeed :-)

:)

-- Pasi