[Fedora-xen] Re: IO performance sanity check

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Fri Oct 24 07:59:13 UTC 2008

Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> I've usually avoided putting anything that needed IO performance on Xen,
> but now I had a few applications that'd fit well in Xen but need a
> little bit of disk IO.   I was surprised just how poorly it works.

My experiences with paravirt Xen have been:

 - Fine performance, as long as "normal" file I/O
   is being used.

 - Bad performance for "low-level" operations like
   file system creation

This was with "raw device" based virtual disks. I haven't benchmarked file-
backed virtual disks.

More on my experiences:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/29483

--