[Fedora-xen] 3 failed approaches to create guest domains

Siddharth Wagh siddharth.wagh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:32:13 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am a Masters student working on my thesis and have to go use Xen for live
migration purposes. I have a Xen installation on Fedora 8, and been trying
for past 3 months to create guest domains and get them running for further
migration work. I took 3 different approaches, but got stuck with each of
those. I would be very grateful if you could point out as to where I am
going wrong...
*
1. Basic command:
xm create -c vm01-config.sxp vmid=1*

The config file is kept in /etc/xen folder.

ERROR:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hd0" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

WHAT I PUT IN:
root = '/dev/hd0' or '/dev/hda' or '/dev/sda2'

None worked. I am not sure what the option should be.

*
2. Using the command:
virt-install -f /etc/xen/xen1 -r 256*

WHAT IT DOES:
Asks for config parameters and creates virtual machine, but I am not sure
how to proceed with completion process. In the install location, I put in a
OS image at a mirror site:
http://ringtail.its.monash.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/

ERROR:
Unable to find image at given location

This is the only approach which creates a VM, but the machine is not
completely running (not functional or doesnt consume any memory). Am I
supposed to have the guest image on my machine?

*3. Using "virt-manager" in GUI*

ERROR: Asks for "Connect to host  network" *but "shared physical devices"
list is empty*. It is supposed to list eth0, peth0 etc. Something to do with
creating a bridge. I tried the approach of NAT, but for that I have to use
approach 1 to create a machine, which gets stuck on "root" error.

Libvirtd is not running. It gave the message:
libvir: Remote error : Connection refused
libvir: warning : Failed to find the network: Is the daemon running ?
libvir: Remote error : Connection refused

xend is running, I checked status.

If anyone could devote a little of their time to help me out, as I am not
comfortable with kernel administration/OS admin, I would be really thankful.

Thanks & Regards,
Siddharth Wagh