[Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 11:50:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:20:48AM +0100, Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> KVM is still not a replacement for paravirtualized machines and I think
> fully virtualized KVM will be slower like a paravirtualized XEN.

KVM is a great replacement for Xen.  It's much easier to use for a
start -- no more rebooting into a completely separate kernel^W
hypervisor.  As long as you have the virtio drivers in the guest,
which is the default for all new Linux distros, performance is roughly
the same.

> Also I am missing some howtos for migration to KVM/xenner.

Install a recent Linux kernel in the guest, adjust the configuration
file[1], and reboot.  You only need Xenner if you want to run the Xen
PV guest unchanged (ie. without installing a new guest kernel).

Rich.

[1] 'virsh edit domname', and edit the domain type, <os> and
<emulator> fields, as detailed here: http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v