[Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Wed Jan 21 12:20:19 UTC 2009

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:40:55PM +0200, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
>

>> Also I don't think kvm will be that different or hard to learn if it
>> becomes to that. It actually has paravirtual network drivers for windows
>> from Qumranet which you can get without extra fee so I think if you are
>> having windows clients it could be way to go in future. For xen you need
>> to pay to Novell for that priviledge.
>>

> You can always use "GPLPV" Windows drivers for Xen. They're open source.

Thanks for the tip, I have quite many Windows hosts running with Xen and
have been looking for drivers, but haven't found these. Have to test
them out when I get my new testing machine.
>> So all in all I think for me this aquisition is good news. I think most
>> problems with xen comes from xensource as it's they only product
>> generating income and for that reason the opensource version seems to
>> get less care than the version you can buy from them. (This is just my
>> opinion so it's not necessarily so)
>>

> I think Xensource is putting a lot of effort into opensource Xen.
>
> It's just the dom0/pv_ops mess that's causing problems atm.. that _should_
> get fixed in the near future.

I have noticed that. But main reason for my feeling is that they should
have started the push much more early than they did. Or maybe it wasn't
feasible before. Anyway it's just have been my feeling of the whole
thing and I think it's good to have two competing techs as it will
provide that both will advance.

Veli-Pekka