[Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?

Jan ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Jan 21 13:28:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:19:31PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:12:52PM +0100, Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
>
> You have to tell the host to give the guest a virtio network card -
> change the NIC <model type='virtio'/> as described here:

Many thanks. Works well.

> http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNICS

There is nothing interesant on this URL. Part elementsNICS is not found,
but also thanks.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 01:23:06PM +0100, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> you need to read the KVM virtio wiki pages, you need to disable that 8139
> emulated card driver (blacklist), then change some line in guest
> configuration file, and probe virtio driver at boot.
>
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio
>
> http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=virtio&titlesearch=Ba%C5%9Fl%C4%B1klar
>
> find /lib/modules | grep virtio   will give you the list of modules (if they
> are compiled as modules)
>
> You also need to have a recent kernel such as 2.6.25 which has built-in
> virtio support.

Thanks. I have it.

virtio_net works well, but I have trouble to boot from virtio_blk.

I can add second disk as virto block device, but I can't boot from first
disk. When using sedond disk, everything works well. When booting via grub,
this is on console:

input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input3
Setting up hotplug.
Creating block device nodes.
Creating character device nodes.
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or
directory
Setting up hotplug.
Creating block device nodes.
Creating character device nodes.
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or
directory

I am using UUID in GRUB, my initrd has been regenerated with virtio_blk
module. I think, nash can't create /dev/vda* devices or something similar.
Any ideas, how to debug this or how to fix this?

			SAL