[Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 14:08:18 UTC 2009

> I think it will not be in 2.6.29. Although
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps says thatit's planned for
> 2.6.29, I can't see any progres in 2.6.29-rc2 changelog:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/ChangeLog-2.6.29-rc2
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/ChangeLog-2.6.29-rc1
>
> I think, 2.6.29 is closed for large changes. Or I missed something?

Yea, looks like most of the dom0 stuff missed the boat.  Some prelimary
stuff might be in though (swiotlb patches ran over lkml at least, didn't
check whenever they are actually made it).

You can combine a self-compiled pv_ops/dom0 kernel with the Rawhide xen
packages and help testing/debugging/get-stuff-upstream this way.  You
should follow xen-devel for the latest news & patches if you do so.

The pv_ops/dom0 kernel has some not-yet debugged storage issues (disk
controller either fails after a while or doesn't work at all), which is
the major stumbling block right now.  If you are lucky and the box stays
up long enougth you can start guests.

cheers,
  Gerd