[Fedora-xen] Goodbye Xen on RH/Fedora?

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 18:43:17 UTC 2009

Dustin Henning wrote:
> 	I tried the Qumranet drivers before I went with Xen.  I don't think
> there is necessarily a problem with the Qumranet drivers, in fact, they
> could potentially have better inbound speeds than the GPLPV ones (though it
> seems unlikely as much as people test and James works on them on the
> xen-users list).  The reason the Qumranet drivers don't cut it is because
> they are only network drivers.  This means your data access (and possibly
> other stuff GPLPV hits) is still fully virtualized.

Storage drivers are in the works, hopefully out soon.

>  Another reason I went
> with Xen is the PHY: option.  I use a physical data source, as opposed to a
> file, for my guests.  Each one has its own HD, actually, though partitions
> or RAID arrays would obviously work as well.  If I remember correctly, when
> I tried this (some time ago), KVM had no such option

kvm has had this from day 1; 'qemu /dev/volgroup/logvol' will start a
guest from the specified logical volume.  For good performance I
recommend 'qemu -drive file=/dev/volgroup/logvol,cache=off'.

Of course, libvirt will handle all that for you.

signature is too narrow to contain.