[Fedora-xen] Success with Fedora 10 Xen pv_ops 2.6.29-rc8 dom0
pasik at iki.fi
Tue Mar 24 19:25:02 UTC 2009
I've used a lot of time trying to get my custom Xen pv_ops dom0 kernel working with
virt-install and/or virt-manager on Fedora 10, and now it seems I got things
If you want to play with this you need:
1) New enough pv_ops dom0 kernel (2.6.29-rc8 or newer) so it has /sys/hypervisor support included
- Compile with CONFIG_HIGHPTE=n since it seems to be broken still
2) libvirt 0.6.1 and related packages from Fedora 10 updates-testing
In addition to those I'm using Xen 3.3.1-9 packages from rawhide/F11 rebuilt for F10.
With the older Fedora 10 libvirt packages libvirtd was crashing often for me, and
I had some other issues with virt-install console window not opening but stalling etc..
Today I was able to run the following on Fedora 10 32bit PAE pv_ops dom0:
- CentOS 5.3 32bit PAE PV domU
- Fedora 10 32bit PAE PV domU
- Use virt-install to install Fedora 10 32bit PAE PV domU (using custom kickstart
to force PAE kernel installation to avoid the anaconda BUG which installs
wrong non-PAE kernel as a default).
Fedora 11 (rawhide) installation most probably works too.
I'm using LVM volumes for domU disks (tap:aio is not yet supported by pv_ops
Network seems to work after running "ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0"
on the guest.. dunno why that's needed. That's something to figure out later:)
Graphical domU console works with virt-viewer and virt-install during installation.
- virt-manager complains about default network (virbr0) being inactive and
asks if I want to start it. If I click Yes, then I get error: "libvirtError: cannot create bridge 'virbr0': File exists"
virbr0 works just fine with virt-install. So dunno what's the problem with that..
have to look into that later.
Thanks to everyone involved for helping me with this!
More information about the Fedora-xen