[Fedora-xen] Re: [fedora-virt] Success with Fedora 10 Xen pv_ops 2.6.29-rc8 dom0

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 19:28:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:25:02PM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've used a lot of time trying to get my custom Xen pv_ops dom0 kernel working with
> virt-install and/or virt-manager on Fedora 10, and now it seems I got things
> working.
>
> If you want to play with this you need:
>
> 1) New enough pv_ops dom0 kernel (2.6.29-rc8 or newer) so it has /sys/hypervisor support included
> 	- Compile with CONFIG_HIGHPTE=n since it seems to be broken still
> 2) libvirt 0.6.1 and related packages from Fedora 10 updates-testing
>
> In addition to those I'm using Xen 3.3.1-9 packages from rawhide/F11 rebuilt for F10.
>
> With the older Fedora 10 libvirt packages libvirtd was crashing often for me, and
> I had some other issues with virt-install console window not opening but stalling etc..
>
> Today I was able to run the following on Fedora 10 32bit PAE pv_ops dom0:
>
> - CentOS 5.3 32bit PAE PV domU
> - Fedora 10 32bit PAE PV domU
> - Use virt-install to install Fedora 10 32bit PAE PV domU (using custom kickstart
> to force PAE kernel installation to avoid the anaconda BUG which installs
> wrong non-PAE kernel as a default).
>
> Fedora 11 (rawhide) installation most probably works too.

FYI, I've just testing i686 and x86_64  Fedora 11 guest installs on a
RHEL5 Xen host and they both work flawlessly out of the box - including
a  sane mouse pointer running in absolute, so no dual-cursor problems,
and installing correect PAE kernels

> Issues:
> - virt-manager complains about default network (virbr0) being inactive and
> asks if I want to start it. If I click Yes, then I get error: "libvirtError: cannot create bridge 'virbr0': File exists"

Possibly due to old 0.5.x libvirtd having crashed & left the network running.
Since you've now upgraded to 0.6.1 libvirt, it is capable of noticing that
the network is already runniing upon startup. So future crashes will recover
better.

Daniel