[Fedora-xen] How to build Xen with my own Linux sources?

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Mon May 11 00:45:49 UTC 2009

I asked about this on the xen-devel list a few days ago, but no one
responded.  I just asked a second time, but it has been my experience
that the other xen-devel subscribers just ignore pleas for help.

I'm an experienced developer, and I've tried searching the list
archives as well as Google.  I've done my best to ask intelligent
questions - but still I am *completely* stymied.

What I want to do is to build the xen and linux kernels without having
the xen build download the linux source tarball from kernel.org.

I have used git to get the tip/master branch of Linux - that's the
version of Linux that is in development from the Xen folks.  I can
build a working kernel from it if I only build linux itself, without
trying to also build xen.

What I want to do is to get xen to build, but when it wants to build
the Dom0 and DomU kernels, I want it to use my tip/master branch of
the Linux sources that I retrieved with git.

I have seen documentation that says I should be able to do this by
rolling a .tar.bz2 of the kernel source, and then setting the
environment variable XEN_LINUX_SOURCE=tarball, but it simply does not
work - the kernel tarball is still downloaded with wget.

I am incredibly frustrated.

I'm grateful for any help you can give me.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com