[Fedora-xen] virt-manager using iscsi

Jon jonr at destar.net
Thu Oct 8 03:21:22 UTC 2009

Hello,

Stats:
FC11
xen-3.4.1
virt-manager 0.7.0
2.6.31-rc6

I have setup a domU to serve up iscsi disks that are really LVs on the
host. I have configured ied.conf to use these LVs as iscsi targets. I
have an .iso loopback mounted and offered up on my webserver for HTTP
installs.

When I try to create a new domU I have to uncheck 'Enable storage for
this virtual machine' and then specify 'Add Target' during the disk
portion of the install. It finds the disk and labels it as sda but the
"What Drive Would You Like To Boot This Installation From?" is grayed
out. Unless you choose 'Custom Partition' you cannot move on. I choose
'Custom Partition' and create my partitions as simple as possible.

/boot 200MB
swap 512MB
/    Rest of drive

I hit 'Next' and the dialog box 'Creating File System On /dev/sda1'. I
watch the target server on port 3260 with tcpdump. I see traffic passing
back and forth between the domU's, the one acting as the target and the
one being installed with virt-manager.

The dialog box just stays on the console and the traffic eventually
comes to a complete stop.

I am getting nothing useful in the logs on either dom0 or domU as to why
it just dies.

Has anybody ran into this before?
Is this never going to work because of my setup?

Can iSCSI be the /boot?

How do you specify iscsi using virt-install? Maybe I could get a little
more output that way.

Any ideas appreciated,

Jon