[feedhenry-dev] Mobile Control Panel (5.x) First Look

David Martin davmarti at redhat.com
Fri Aug 18 14:48:12 UTC 2017

Hey Wojciech,

Thanks for the questions.
I've left some comments inline below.

On 18 August 2017 at 15:30, Wojciech Trocki <wtrocki at redhat.com> wrote:

> Demo looks really awesome. I just have couple questions that will help me
> to understand basic concepts.
>
> 1) What's the biggest difference between mobile-panel and creating
> openshift template to be available in standard UI?
> I see that we done UI modifications, but I'm mostly interested how this
> can be extended.
> Can we for example have push service that will have some UI elements to
> send push notification?

We're leverage OpenShift UI extensions to do a few things:
- adding the Mobile category for the Service Catalog
- adding the 'Mobile' left nav item
- allowing custom javascript, css & html to be loaded from a location
configured on the openshift master

By having custom javascript, we can add or even override AngularJS routes,
templates etc...
However, that's a lot of power, and could lead to incompatibilities with
future OpenShift versions

More info on this approach here
https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.6/install_config/web_console_customization.html
and here
https://github.com/feedhenry/mobile-control-panel/blob/master/ui/public/mcp.js

> 2) What is the main purpose of the mobile app?
> Want to make sure that I undestand the concept properly. Having mobile app
> in container platform may mean many things. Is that used as something
> like "RHMAP connection tag"?

Yeah, I think its a little early for the idea of a Mobile App being
represented in Openshift to make sense.
I think an RHMAP connection tag is a reasonable comparison, particularly if
we went with a 'phone home on startup' approach to dynamically configure
the App.
Something to work out i think.

> 3) Are looking to get some community contributors as well or is too early?

Always! Its open season I say :)
Check out the 'good first contributions' tag on github issues if you like.
Or if you just want to play around and find some bugs & fix em, Super!
https://github.com/feedhenry/mobile-control-panel/issues

> 4) Do you think we can push example you demoing to sync-js repo? - it
> looks awesome!
> It's the best looking sync example I seen so far.

Do you mean link to the video from the repo, or do something else?
I've no problem with linking to the video.
The code being used for the client, server & sample app are all on github
already.
https://github.com/feedhenry/fh-sync-js
https://github.com/feedhenry/fh-sync-server
https://github.com/feedhenry-templates/feedhenry-cordova-sync-app