[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Make RainCatcher's hydra Learnean?

Paolo Haji phaji at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 14:26:13 UTC 2017

I think the cli project is going to go unmaintained, and would be a big
cost in dev-time otherwise.
I've only ever used it to clone the repos initially, and get started
through its arbitrary npm linking, but since we have to constantly switch
between checking out branches locally and installing pre-release versions
to sanity-check them, it becomes very painful to manage these.

pros would be:
- reducing the number of different repos: perhaps down to 1 or keeping the
demo apps as separate modules, not sure
- consolidating releases across the different sub-modules: currently we
have separate versions for each module, and bumps involve a lot of manual
updating of the trees and some shrinkwrapping,
with one repo we can use the same version for all sub-modules like babel
does, makes it simpler for customers and platform templates as well
- single feature branches: we've had a couple of epics that had 5+ feature
branches with the same name, the workflow and final merging got complicated!
- better supported than -cli: I haven't thought of lerna as an alternative
to the cli because it would affect the repo structure itself, but it's a
3.2k star project used by a lot of high-profile projects itself.
It is potentially another tool as Emilio pointed out, but better chances we
get contributors that are familiar with (or willing to learn) that tool
than our own reinvented wheel, isn't that what OSS is all about? ;)

I thought this would be a nice fit stemming from Peter's comment in
the Renaming Raincatcher packages thread, of course the forking-based model
is still a bummer.