[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Raincatcher feedback from a newbie

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 14:29:01 UTC 2017

We were chatting on the devXP slack today and had an interesting take on
Raincatcher's shortcomings from a newbie's perspective.

TL;DR; Raincatcher is HARD

Here is a list of some of the issues we've run across.

0.  I've had Raincatcher described to me as a architecture for writing
Raincatcher applications using Raincatcher modules.  For workforce
management.

1.  The highly decoupled nature of the codebase hides how the modules
should interact with each other. By should I mean you can't look at the
demo project and quickly get an idea of how one should architect a
greenfield RC application.

2.  Angular is a huge, opinionated framework with lots of gotchas, and
Angular went the route of "Let's add a bunch of custom tags and attributes
to html elements".  This has the effect of breaking lots of tools and
making learning Raincatcher even harder.

3.  RHMAP makes it very difficult to deploy applications which have
dependencies on auth services.

4.  Raincatcher uses message passing, but the APIs themselves don't make
discovering available namespaces easy or automatic.  Developers have to be
highly aware of the name spacing, what modules are available, and the RC
conventions.

5. Raincatcher lacks tutorials and simple sample applications. We have the
portal which is a kitchen sink project (great for excitement and
presentations, not for learning), and the demo application (an example of
how to add a custom module).

So what do you guys think?

Summers