[Feedhenry-raincatcher] Raincatcher feedback from a newbie

Wojciech Trocki wtrocki at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 15:39:23 UTC 2017

> A lot of this should probably get added to the feedhenry.org raincatcher
page.  There are a LOT of modules in raincatcher so having the docs be
spread across 20 repos is not idea.

There is so much overhead related with maintaining multiple
repository project that I see that now most of the projects keeping their
core resources (even sometimes unrelated with the core in single repo).
I remember good conversation about it from Eclipse Che, where someone
mentioned really good point against multiple repo setup. Single repo
simplifies development setup,  issue and PR tracking etc.
If we have 20 repos for the moment and we have some common
responsibilities spread across different repositories in organization then
we can always improve it by creating repos for common elements like plugins
repo that would hold all plugins etc. This obviously have some drawbacks
too, but I personally think that single repos are more community friendly
(see Linux as example). I'm not trying to say that we should put all code
into one, but 20 repositories for such platform feature seems too much.

For jenkins project we decided to hold all common files into the single
repo, but have jenkins clients in single repositories as they would have
different release cycle etc.

3.  Feedhenry makes it very difficult to deploy applications which have
> dependencies on auth services.

Fully agree after using it and reading our documentation. I heard lots of
people having similar experiences.
We may need to invest some time to improve this.  fh.auth needs to be
little bit more documented and some misleading parts [1]

https://github.com/feedhenry-templates/helloworld-cloud-cluster/blob/master/application.js#L14-L15

Wojciech Trocki
Software Engineer, Red Hat Mobile