[Feedhenry-raincatcher] TypeScript version of raincatcher-mediator ready

Paolo Haji phaji at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 14:53:17 UTC 2017

> How hard will it be to make this change across all of the projects in
> dependent code?

I captured the gist of it in the first email of the thread, then expanded
to a blog post <http://paolobueno.com/to-type-a-module/> (shameless plug;
compass++). I guess by already being aware of all these pitfalls it would
be fairly easy! I'd love if some of the team would experiment with TS in
the current refactoring wave.
I could also provide lots of help through slack/PR reviews as needed.

Since TS is a strict superset of JS you don't have to do everything in a
single pass, you can even keep the .js extension on files you don't wanna
touch and feed it to the ts compiler.

I chose the mediator module as a first one because of the following:

- I had done lots of work on it before
- It's small-ish
- It's plumbing

The main challenge is mostly how much value we can get out of adding the
typings to other modules, specially around the mediator architecture which
is intrisically decoupled at the function-call level and therefore harder
to get static analysis around. My recommendation for this detail can be
seen here
<https://issues.jboss.org/browse/RAINCATCH-540?focusedCommentId=13362021&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-13362021>
.

I'd also like to figure out how we can leverage the annotations through
ngui's editor since it should be based on VSCode's monaco now.