[Freeipa-devel] Password expired on new user

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 18:01:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 15:54 +1000, David O'Brien wrote:
> I just created a new user but as soon as I did and the interface
> returned to the View User page, it said "Password has expired". I
> thought I saw a comment from Suzanne? about this but now I can't find it.
>
> Why would this happen?

Because when admins change password users are required to reset them to
a value unknown to the admin immediately.
This is by design. And it is meant as a way to safely distribute new
accounts as well do password resets without letting anybody else but the
user know the final password.
Unfortunately at this moment I don't have a way to provide a better
message like: "the password was reset you have to change it". But that
is the idea.

| Simo S Sorce |
| Sr.Soft.Eng. |
| Red Hat, Inc |