[Freeipa-devel] Install on RHEL5 - pointers please

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 14:52:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 16:49 +0200, Alex Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have attempted to install freeIPA on a RHEL5 machine, using FC7
> RPMs. This fails with a dependency failure. My steps are as follows:
>
> 1) Fully update (yum -y update) a clean install of RHEL5, i386
>
> 2) Add fedora-testing Repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/
> #Add to /etc/yum.conf
> [updates-testing]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Test Updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/7/i386/
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
>
> 3) Run the command
> [root at ipa yum.repos.d]# yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install ipa-server
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> rhel-i386-server-5        100% |=========================| 1.4 kB    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package ipa-server.i386 0:0.99-12.fc7 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ipa-server
> --> Processing Dependency: python-pyasn1 for package: ipa-server
> [snipped, full output below]
> --> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ipa-client
> --> Processing Dependency: fedora-ds-base >= 1.1 for package: ipa-server
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: python-pyasn1 is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: python-krbV is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: krb5-server-ldap is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: TurboGears is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: python-tgexpandingformwidget is needed by
> package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: fedora-ds-base >= 1.1 is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: mod_nss >= 1.0.7-2 is needed by package ipa-server
> Error: Missing Dependency: python-kerberos is needed by package ipa-python
> Error: Missing Dependency: python-krbV is needed by package ipa-admintools
> Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package ipa-python
> Error: Missing Dependency: python-krbV is needed by package ipa-client
> Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package ipa-client
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

F7 packages are not directly compatible with RHEL5, I think some of the
python packages are available in EPEL, most other stuff need to be
rebuilt from source rpms to make it work on RHEL5, including the
kerberos package as we enabled a new subpackage (krb5-server-ldap) in
the spec file that is not normally available in RHEL5.